View Single Post
Old October 13, 2017, 08:22 PM   #24
BOOGIE the oily

Look, this discussion is going nowhere. We're turning this thread into a "love/hate the high power" thread, which is not the OP's stated purpose, nor mine. So, I'm gonna answer you, and I'm done. What I first stated is MY opinion, and, for what I've read, it's an opinion shared by quite a lot of people. I'm not a High Power hater, but I'm also not a fan. Like I said before, I'm planning of buying a couple of them, as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarn
I don't know where you got your weight figures. Here's what I see:
Browning website Hi-Power 32 oz. (2 lbs.)
CZ website CZ75B 2.2 lbs.
Beretta Website (Owners Manual) 92FS 34.4 oz.
Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

If we're talking about a design, we can't use a current production model's specs on a gun that's been designed more than 80 years ago.

http://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/pisto...d/cz-75-b.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92

Same goes for the 92. The FS is not the original 92, but a modified, heavier version.

Quote:
ISo according to the respective companies website data the Hi-Power is slightly lighter than the other two as I said earlier. I'll grant that the CZ and Beretta are conventional DA and that there are differences in barrel length and capacity, But the main point is that if the Hi-Power is heavy, so are other popular all metal 9mm Pistols (and more so in some cases). Compact versions are available from CZ and Beretta that are as light or lighter than the Hi-Power but the barrels are shorter and their capacity is reduced to within 1 round of the Hi-Power (or the same, or even less in some cases).
When I stated the High Power was heavy, I meant it's heavy for what it is. So, yes, if you compare it to a .50 cal Desert Eagle, the gun is a featherweight, but that comparison isn't really fair, is it? The same goes for a comparison with 2 guns with a more complex (and heavier) trigger system, and a higher ammo capacity. So, as I said, even if your figures were accurate, it's apples to oranges.

Quote:
I also noticed on Beretta's website (in the 92 Owners Manual) that it is 15+1, not 17+1.

True, sorry. I was thinking about the Taurus PT-92
Still, the Beretta holds 2 rounds more than the High Power.

Quote:
This monkey removed the mag disconnect from his Hi-Power himself before the Internet. And I even reinstalled it myself prior to selling it... before the Internet.
For the record, I've never called YOU a monkey...
I'm sure you did, And I'm sure I could've done it also, as well as pretty much anybody with some good mechanics background. But not everybody has that background, and not everybody is willing to do the job, and/or to accept the potential consequences of doing it.
And, in the end, the fact that the part "can be removed" is a poor excuse for it being badly designed in the first place.

Quote:
So how would a smart... guy design a mag disconnect for the Hi-Power? (Oh, and by the way, the mag disconnect design must require no, or very minimal, modifications to the frame and slide, and must work with existing magazines.)
Why?
Contrarily to what you stated before, the mag safety was NOT added to the High Power at a later time. The High Power was designed to compete for a French military contract, which specifically called for the gun to have a mag disconnect. So there's no reason for JMB (or Saive) to not modify the frame, before the weapon went into production.
On the other hand, about "how would a smart guy design it", there are plenty of examples of guns with mag disconnects that don't interfere with the trigger, so how to do it is far from a mystery.

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."

Page generated in 0.02908 seconds with 8 queries