View Single Post
Old May 22, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1
dyl

First Shotgun. Help with "fit" and sight picture.

Hey all,

I'm more of a handgun guy. But I'd like to get into hunting and it seems I can do the most with a shotgun.

I've done some reading on the forums and I'd appreciate your assistance because I've run across some snags.

What I know:
1) I should buy a shotgun that comes close as possible to fitting me
- supposedly this means that if I close my eyes, raise the gun to my shoulder and cheek simultaneously, the gun will be pointed at where I am looking.

But what is the proper "sight picture" for a shotgun? How do I know it is indeed pointing where I am looking? How do I know it fits? Is it purely the bead on target or some vent rib as well?

2) I've had a bad experience with a Remington 870
- back when I shot a little trap with a friend's gun a few years ago. I ended up with a hard lump of scar tissue inside my cheek that was later removed. This could be a fit issue and in addition we were both untrained. I was under the impression that I had to scrunch down so that only the bead was visible. I remember it felt hard to do on the 870. Yet this is the same gun I'm considering purchasing simply based on reading about reliability.
- I'd consider a Remington 1100 if the stock "fit me" better - but again I don't know what "proper fit" looks like. Any basic guidelines would help - information about sight picture is surprisingly sparse.

I've tried asking Local Gun Store employees and they are not quite able to explain if a gun fits me or what the proper sight picture is. "Can you see the bead?" - yes. But I could also see the bead when the shotgun was still on the wall.

As of right now I'm between a Remington 870, 1100 or 1187.

I'd also received some advice from a person in a gun store that recommended a youth stock Remington 870 - for anyone, saying that it makes the shotgun more handy. I would think this decreases LOP though and exacerbate the problem I experienced previously.

Your thoughts please. Assistance much appreciated.

Last edited by dyl; May 22, 2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: grammar

Page generated in 0.03865 seconds with 8 queries