View Single Post
Old September 15, 2011, 03:49 PM   #94
Bill Akins

Quote:
Stephanie B wrote:
.....I don't know how much it will matter that as the piston pushes on the hammer, it also has to slide a bit along the inside face of the hammer strut (excuse me if my terminology is off). Just going by holding a cheap micrometer alongside the hammer and going from full down to full cock on my SAA clone, it would seem that the piston is going to have to both push back roughly 1.2" and slide about a quarter of an inch along the hammer, and it's going to be doing that at some speed/force. (The distances may be different for a Remington `58, but probably not by that much. ) Seems like a lot to expect a small-diameter pin to do.
I know what you mean Stephanie. The piston has to push against the hammer strut's forward side curved shape. When the piston first contacts the hammer and as it starts to push the hammer back, the piston will "ride" and "slide" along the curved shape of the hammer strut's arc. One advantage of that that I hadn't thought about until just now upon reading your post, is that the sliding of the piston along that hammer strut's arc, might allow for some delay in the operation to slow it down because the piston has to slide along the hammer's forward curved arc shape as it pushes the hammer back. Which would be a good thing, helping to offset the violent abruptness of the operation and slightly delay it. (In theory anyway). Great observation Stephanie! Your observation made me think of a delay advantage that would be built in to the operation due to that piston sliding along the forward side of the hammer's arc shape. Thanks!

Quote:
Stephanie B wrote:
I also wonder how many shots the piston will be good for, given that BP can be kind of nasty stuff. There are a number of little clearances in Aki's concept. If the piston cruds up somewhere along its length of travel, then the weapon is out of commission until it can be torn down. And if scratches build up along the surfaces of the piston and cylinder, would it then foul even faster? Or is it possible to design the gas face of the piston so that it tends to self-clean the inside of the gas cylinder?
Good points Stephanie. Of course one thing Akumabito would need that isn't shown in his rendering, is a gas relief port hole drilled in a position so that when the piston head passed a certain point in the gas tube, that the gas was then allowed to port out of the gas tube once the head of the piston passed that gas relief port hole. Akumabito, you need to add that gas relief port hole to your gas tube.

Using a less fouling, non smoking black powder substitute, fouling could be minimized from what it would be if using standard black powder. But I know what you mean Stephanie, and even smokeless powder can eventually foul a gas tube and bind a piston on even a modern semi-auto action using smokeless powder if not cleaned adequately.

But perhaps the length of the piston's rod, beyond the piston's head, could be spiral cut, so that as it reciprocated back and forth within the gas tube, the spiral cuts would scour and break up any small amounts of fouling trying to adhere to the tube and then they would blow out the gas relief port hole.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.02548 seconds with 8 queries