View Single Post
Old August 15, 2018, 01:40 PM   #1
COSteve

Crescent Buttplate and Arthritic Shoulder = Pain: But There is a Solution

So, as many of you know, I've posted about my Rossi 357mag and Uberti 45 Colt leverguns. I have a carbine and rifle in both calibers and the rifles have crescent buttplates that don't fit my shoulder well to begin with. However, the last 6-9 months I've noticed the start of some arthritis symptoms in my shoulder; a bit of burning low level pain at times.

Anyway, last time I went out with my 357mag rifle, about 1 month ago, my shoulder hurt like heck to fire my full power loads. I tried my Mini-14 and it felt fine so it was the shape of the crescent buttplate that was causing the issue. Later, I got home and had a nice bruise from shooting. That really concerned me as my Rossis are my favorite plinkers and losing them would be a blow.

I looked on line and at Cabella's for a slip on recoil pad for my shoulder and found one from Caldwell, their 'Field Shield at $22 so I ordered it on Amazon. Two days later it was here.

Anyway, I took it out to the range yesterday afternoon to try it with my Rossi rifle and it's dreaded crescent buttplate. Even though my shoulder was hurting a bit before I started out to the range, with the shield on I could shoot my Rossi with no pain at all. Yes, it takes a bit of getting use to the 3/8" or so thick pad on your shoulder and how the buttstock engages it but I quickly found a way to use it effectively and it's a none issue.

Not shown is a strap that goes around your chest from the back piece to the right side of the pad. It Velcros on so it fast and the shield is reversible for lefties too; just turn it inside out. Best of all, it slips right off easily and I was still able to shoot my Mini without it with ease. Arthritis now not a problem and I'm pain free again.

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries