View Single Post
Old July 25, 2006, 07:03 PM   #11
kymasabe

Here in southwest Florida, the hog hunters use pitbulls. They also go collarless because if a tusk catches a collar, the hog can break the dogs neck. Most of the hardcore hog hunters I talk to say the same thing, don't get attached to the dog, expect the dog to get killed in the hunt, or at least seriously hurt. Maybe not every time but plan for it. They too use pound dogs, cheap, expendable, and if the dog is too hurt, they put them down in the brush and leave them. One local guy I spoke to said the best hog dog he ever had was a beagle, was too low and too fast for the hog to catch. The dog would run around behind the hog and bite/hang from the hogs b@lls. Said you didn't have to listend for the baying of the dogs, you could hear the hog screaming in the woods instead.

Me, personally...I can't treat a dog like that. I have a 12 year old English Springer Spaniel that I've had since she was 8 weeks old, she's well cared for, (some would say spoiled) and is part of the family. She's been bird hunting with me a bunch of times, is a great companion, and loyal protector of the home. I could never send a dog to the hogs.

Page generated in 0.02950 seconds with 8 queries