View Single Post
Old January 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
I'm thinking compact and single stack... I want a double-action/single-action with a decocker, good (large-ish) sights and a decent trigger. I really like the Sig 239 tactical, but I don't want to spend $900 right now. I'm thinking 9mm Luger is my preferred caliber... I like frame mounted decockers better than slide mounted ones. I want to get three fingers around the grip instead of just two.
Other than the frame-mounted decocker, you just described a S&W 39-series. See my replies in the following recent thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511438

The aforementioned M6904 and M6906 are basically similar to the M3914 and M3913 respectively, just double-stack with 12+1rd capacity rather than single-stack with 8+1rd capacity.
Quote:
I'd consider .380 if everything else was perfect but I don't want to go there otherwise.
If you want to go this route, a Beretta 85F or 85FS meets your criteria perfectly. FYI the only difference is that the FS has a modified decocker/safety mechanism that eliminates a false detent between the SAFE and FIRE settings. The 85F is just as safe to carry and operate, but the shooter needs to remember to always push the levers through all the way.

The 84-series is double-stack and substantially thicker through the grip but otherwise similar. The earlier no-suffix, B-, and BB-series Berettas have a "cocked and locked" safety and a half-cock position rather than a decocker/safety and no half-cock.

One issue, however, is that aftermarket support for the 84/85 is nowhere near as extensive as most of the other pistols mentioned.

Last edited by carguychris; January 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: minor reword...

Page generated in 0.03233 seconds with 8 queries