View Single Post
Old June 12, 2019, 11:18 PM   #2
TunnelRat

The cutout on the bottom of the grip exists for a reason. When Glock flared the magazine well for the Gen 5 they made it very difficult to pinch the magazine baseplate on the slides to strip a stuck magazine. The flaring was to me unneeded. The magazines are already tapered and the inside of the magazine well was beveled. I had never had an issue seating a magazine on a Glock, even doing timed drills or in defensive classes. Other manufacturers don't seem to feel the need for the flaring either.

By giving the cutout on the front you can use your index finger in there and your thumb up the back of the grip to strip the magazine. The extended baseplates on the Gen 5 magazines plus the cutout also gives you a way to catch the magazine to strip it if you have to do so one handed. What are the chances you'll need to do that? Probably not very great, but it isn't completely without reason. The same cutout was on the Gen 2. If you want the Gen 5 without the cutout you could get the MOS model.

As for reliability, I have two Gen 5 Glock 19s. One with just under 5000 rds through it, the other with 2500 or so. I have not had a malfunction in either. I have seen nothing that convinces me the tighter chamber is problematic for reliability, and Glock claims this is the most reliable generation yet (FWIW). I cannot say the same for the later production Gen 3s or the handful of Gen 4s that I've owned. The earlier production Gen 3s I have owned have been solid.

My guess is any generation will likely serve you well. If there is one you seem to like over the others then go with that. I have found that I tend to shoot my Gen 5s better than the 3s and 4s I've owned, but I don't have benchrest results to confirm that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 12, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.03511 seconds with 8 queries