View Single Post
Old April 24, 2019, 11:40 PM   #35
jmstr

For cheapest that has a decent reputation for reliable- and great reputation for customer service- Rock Island stands out: as has been mentioned.

I have 3 of them currently- 2 in .45 and 1 in .38Super. They make a 1911 in 9mm I believe, or, you can buy the .38 Super and swap out a 9mm barrel with it.

In my RIA 1911's, I am a bit of a trigger snob, and have sent one or two back [after the 500 round break in] when I noticed something a bit 'off'.

They fixed it, and I had the head gunsmith at that time [Arnel- he does GOOD work, at reasonable prices] slick up the action a bit.

I am VERY happy with them.

Once I was at the range and did my 'normal' range routine. This involved 50 rounds slow-fired, 2 handed standing at 7 yards. I achieved the standard I set for myself- all of them in a space of about 3"x4" oblong.

This isn't anything special- but enough to make me confident of hitting center mass- not side of the mass.

When I pulled the target in, a couple guys to my left [shooting 1911s] asked what brand 1911 I was using. I told them, and they said I should do a commercial for RIA. I didn't comment about shooter skill- but let them think it was the gun, as it is ok skill, but not really exceptional. that would be 50 rounds into a 2" x 3" oblong for me.

Their groups were more like 10" x 16" on the target- and they were using a Colt 1911 Gold Cup and a Kimber [Trophy I think? I remember thinking it was about a $1300 gun around 2013, whatever it was]. I remember them commenting they could have bought 2 or 3 of my RIA 1911s for the price of their pistols, and my groups were 'SOOO' much better.

Again- probably not the gun's fault.

The moral: more expensive won't create a good shooter. And a RIA that you practice with will probably make you happy.

NOW, Star Model B was brought up. The B has a swinging link, and the B Super has a barrel lug more like a BHP or something. They are very 1911-esque.

Their triggers can be made to work very well, like a 1911. However, some differences:
1- almost NO access to spare parts or aftermarket parts. If your extractor doesn't work, you can spend $150 to have a couple made for you [or around $100 for one], but the gun only costs around $300.
2- magazines may be spotty in use.
3- some barrels don't like anything other than steel shells.
4- no grip safety.
5- thumb safety blocks hammer from pivoting- unlike 1911 which blocks sear from pivoting, and allowing hammer to drop.
6- sights are 1911 GI sights- no better.

They ARE fun, but I wouldn't recommend one to someone who really wants a 1911 in 9mm. I'd say just get a RIA and ammo.

Page generated in 0.02208 seconds with 8 queries