View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

with the gun fully apart, it actually looks like it was put together from a collection of parts... the receiver looks very well made & if it weren't for the odd thread size, with the stamps, you would think it an Enfield part, however the Enfield script was stamped with individual letter stamps, rather than a single "word" stamp... trigger guard & breach block look Enfield, most of the other internals look hand made, the pins are awful ... the stock retaining bolt is the most crudely constructed part I think I've ever seen... the shank is barely round, & it doesn't screw in straight, it swings a pretty wide orbit when screwing in, & is also the same thread pitch as the barrel... the wood looks to be either a very good copy, or Enfield parts, as well as the front barrel band / bayonet lug...

the barrel that was on the rifle has a proof mark stamped into it, though my buddy has no idea... I'll likely add some pics later...

I think we're going to go ahead & make the needed parts, rechamber it in 30-30, & proof fire it with a couple warm loads, to make sure the receiver & breach block can handle the pressures... it's going to suck to stick a couple $100.00 into the gun to get it into condition that it can be proofed, should it break, but it's the only thing I can think of short of the scrap pile... & when put back together, it's a nice looking rifle... so I'd like to shoot it...

will probably stamp the receiver "not British" if it survives proof testing...

my buddy is still convinced that the receiver is likely made from a different "craftsman" than the ones that made the internals... maybe the barrel proof mark will provide some details???

Page generated in 0.07289 seconds with 8 queries