View Single Post
Old February 7, 2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Other sources of information as well are Castbolits, and here,
http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

Be sure to check the links "From Ingot to Target", as well as "Cast Bullet Notes".

Read through it all, save you a copy on your HD and print out the important parts. The handbook From Ingot to Target is great to put into a little binder and keep handy out on the bench as well.

For the most part if you can't get something to run through your barrel from those sources, your probably going to need to look elsewhere.

The key thing to getting the most from your bullets is the fit in your chamber and barrel. It requires them to be slugged to be certain of the dimensions, however there are plenty who simply use a nominal size and get good results. As mentioned the different rifling may or may not effect your intended use. I personally believe the alloy, and the powder choice will make the biggest difference there. If your using a softer alloy you should probably be using one of the slower powders, (relatively speaking), like Unique, AA-5,7,9 or similar, verses something like Bullseye. IMO.

As for the lube and sizing, you can't get much easier than mentioned above with the TL option. If I might suggest one, you might look hard at the new White Label offering called, Delux X-Lox 45/45/10. You will find it much more user friendly and it will dry quite a bit faster and to a non sticky to touch film. I use the home brew version on everything including my top end 454 loads with no issues what so ever. I will admit it is a bit smokey with some powders and at lower loads, but for the performance I don't mind either.

Well good luck with your endeavor and be sure to ask before you jump, especially on alloy. If your smelting your own wheel weights keep the temp below 700 to help ensure no zinc gets into your mix. Even the best sorters get one in the bunch once in a while.

Page generated in 0.02916 seconds with 8 queries