View Single Post
Old August 25, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1768
FlyFish

Blackjack: I can certainly understand that you don't want to go messing around disassembling your revolver to check on the threads, but that may not be necessary. The newer left-hand thread rods have a slightly different shape from the older right-hand ones. The difference is that the right-hand rods don't change in diameter between the knurled end and the main part of the shaft, but the left-hand ones have a narrowed area between the two parts. I believe that's not an absolute rule, but that it does apply in most cases. These two photos show the difference:

Here's the right-hand threaded rod on a Model 17:

And this one's the left-hand threaded rod on a 17-3:

My guess (and its only that), is that the 1960 production date based on the S/N is correct, and if you have a left-hand threaded ejector it may be a 17-1 mis-marked as a 17. It wouldn't be the first time the wrong model number has been stamped. The alternative, I guess, is that they made up a 17 from parts in stock during what would have otherwise been the period when they were producing 17-1s. There are some folks here that know tons more about this than I do, so perhaps they can offer an opinion.

BTW, nice gun regardless of whatever the real story might be.

Page generated in 0.05521 seconds with 8 queries