View Single Post
Old July 27, 2007, 10:54 AM   #12
IanS

Quote:
Glocks are good guns and I own a G17 myself. It's my opinion, however, that your first semi-auto pistol should have an external manual safety. You might want to check out the Sig, S&W, CZ and Beretta pistols before you commit. I recently held a Beretta 92FS and found it's handling quite nice.

The most important thing, however, is to get some competent instruction on the range. This will go a long way to building your confidence with any pistol you select.
I agree you should consider your options instead of just setting yourself on a Glock. True a Glock does not have a manual safety. It has a 5.5 lbs trigger and before field stripping the trigger must be pulled ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER. Whereas a 1911 has a 4.5-5 lbs trigger with manual safety or a DA/SA gun typically has an initial 10-12 lbs DA trigger and 4-6 lbs SA trigger. But I believe one is either safe around firearms or they're not. One is either trained or not. If the person does not bother to do a chamber check to know the status of the weapon and puts their finger on the trigger what might happen? Whether its a DA/SA gun, 1911, or Glock? And just because a gun has a safety should the person be lulled into thinking its okay to sometimes put their finger on the trigger when not intending to shoot? That's a terrible habit to get into. The basic rules of firearms safety always applies to all guns. Like any gun, a Glock is as safe or as dangerous as the person holding it.

Page generated in 0.03431 seconds with 8 queries