Thread: why so cheap?
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2017, 01:47 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

oldscot3, I don't view porcupines as a threat to much of anything other than chicken eggs.
They're slow-moving, fairly innocuous beasts that just want to be left alone as they pass through an area.

That being said, the rest of my family, for whatever reason and much to my dismay, has a fascination with killing every porcupine they encounter.
I agree that they are some tough SOBs, and will soak up bird shot from a shotgun like nothing happened. Short of good buck shot or a slug, porcupines may be fatally wounded, but are not 'stopped' without a substantial number of rounds/shells put in them.

I've seen .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .380 Auto, 9mm, .38/.357, .40 S&W, .54 caliber round balls and conical bullets, and 12 ga bird shot loads get soaked up, round after round, with no hindrance to the walking pincushion.
Not until you get to about .41/.44 Mag for handguns, .243 Win for 'varmint cartridges', or TT / #4 buck for shot shells, does a body shot show a response. Head shots, if available, are a different matter, of course (though, seemingly, rarely available on the spiky pigs).

I wasn't there for it, but one of my brothers likes telling a story about one of my uncles pumping 36 rounds of .40 S&W ('hard cast') into a porcupine that was still just trundling along up a hill side until it got popped with a .338 WM.

Page generated in 0.04318 seconds with 8 queries