View Single Post
Old May 14, 2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Departed402

Is a suppressor for me?

I'm curious about how quiet a suppressed gun could be. I don't have any firsthand (or really any secondhand) knowledge about suppressed firearms. According to Hollywood, suppressors make any gun totally silent, which is not possible I know, but I would like to get close. I know there additional variables to making a gun quiet such as sub-sonic ammo, and the action of semi-auto guns. So it seems to me a good place to start would be a bolt-action or lever-action rifle with sub-sonic bullets. Am I missing anything? Even with these and other sources of noise eliminated what's the best it could be?

Personally, the quietest gun I've ever been around was a non-suppressed lever-action .22 rifle firing .22 CB. This combination was very quiet, but of course lacked power since the CB rounds are only powered by the primer. A common pellet gun seemed like it would be just as quiet and powerful.

What I am interested in is a gun significantly more powerful than a pellet gun or rifle shooting a .22 CB, but just about as quiet. Can it be done?

Last edited by Departed402; May 14, 2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typos and inaccuracies, was tired when initially composed

Page generated in 0.02848 seconds with 8 queries