View Single Post
Old November 28, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
dahermit

Rem. 742

Remington 742 are will known for this problem. I have a brother who asked me the same question. I asked him to show me a fired case, which he did. There it was...the tell-tale sign on the brass, small little indentations on the body of the case. I told him what I am going to tell you know, these little indentations are caused by burnt, and unburnt gun powder left in the chamber after firing. They cause the case to stick in the chamber instead of being extracted. The extractor is pulled back and rips the rim off the case.
The fix: Clean after shooting. If you are going to shoot a lot of rounds at one time, run a chamber brush into the chamber after every 6-7 rounds.
Having to clean the chamber so often is no handicap for a sporting rifle...would be a nightmare of the 742 were a military rifle. Boy, I wish I had a dollar for how many times this question has been asked about the 742 over the years I have been following the sport!
Note: I would not sell my 742 over this tendency, I would just clean it frequently.

Page generated in 0.02911 seconds with 8 queries