View Single Post
Old October 30, 2012, 08:00 PM   #7
barnbwt

Quote:
Seems as though you'd have a better "crazy project" if you sold the M95, took that money and built the gun you want.
I'm not really looking for a bench rest rifle (hence why I'm looking at a light carbine). My "barreled M95 action", complete with stock, only set me back 100$, so it's not like I'm going for a super-delux solution here, either. A handy straight-pull (this thing is scary fast to cycle) in 45-70 has all the functionality of a lever, but with better (IMO) ergonomics; what's not to love?

Quote:
What pressure can the action handle?
Apparently a good deal; it's been chambered in everything from 30-40 to 8mm Mauser, and the milsurp 8x56R my rifle is chambered for is among the hottest service ammo ever made. Anything short of insane 45-70 loads should be plenty safe (also looking into 444 potential; closer to existing bolt dimensions). I've heard of people doing conversions to 7.62x54R, but the taper doesn't work right with the clips, apparently (30-40krag works best).

For the time being, I can use it in 8x56R (my LGS happened to have some PRVI) and we'll see if I fall in love, or something (happened with the K31s )

TCB

*need to locate a new bolt-body (~20$) as there appears to be a tiny crack at the tail(non loaded part, btw) that will probably(inevitably) cause the safety to break loose. Doesn't appear it'd affect other operation (or strength), but I'll fix it nonetheless. Anyone happen to know if there are different sizes? I wouldn't think there should be.

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries