View Single Post
Old October 26, 2011, 07:47 PM   #9
PawPaw

I shoot a lot of .30-30 every year, looking for something magical. I generally find it, something different and special when I'm toying with the .30 WCF.

For a classic full-house deer ammo, use 29 grains of IMR3031 and a Remington Core-Lokt 170 grain bullet.

For a lighter bullet, use Speer's little 130 grain flat-nose bullet over 35.0 grains of Reloader 15. Low recoil and great accuracy. It should be a great whitetail load, but I admit I haven't tried it on deer yet.

For a good cast load, try the Lyman 311041 over a 27.0 grains of H4895. That gives me about 1900 fps with no leading. Good accuracy from my Model 94s. Or, if you want to get into lead casting, get one of Ranch Dog's molds and make some great ammo for the deer woods.

Or, if you want a cat-sneeze load, try a 115 grain .32-20 bullet over 7.5 grains of Blue Dot. It's a hoot to shoot these things at small steel targets on a pistol range. They'll also roll a marauding possum into a ball. I call it my "possum load".

the .30-30 is easy to load, it's got a long neck for good cast bullet support, you can load it mild or wild. It's a great cartridge for the hobbyist. There is something truly magical about the .30-30.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03102 seconds with 8 queries