View Single Post
Old November 3, 2008, 10:56 PM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Foster Slug Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps

I checked my ballistics book, I will sum up what it says about foster slugs (if you want to read it exactly, order the book, or check your book store to see if they have it in, its on pg.307):

A Foster slug's groves that are molded into it provides a very slight spin, but the accuracy gained from the amount of gyroscopic stability is very little.

Research by Winchester shows that the turn rate of a foster slug is 1 turn in 24 feet.

Slugs without the groves still hit nose first without tumbling, but the grooves do give better accuracy over a non-grooved slugs.

1 in 24ft
vs 1 in 24inches spin of a sabot round from a rifled barrel shotgun.
I am posting this here because I know there is a long debate about if a foster slug spins from the "rifling" or not, making it more accurate or not. I have been on both sides of the argument at different times based on things I have heard and read.

However I forgot that I have a book on firearm ballistics. Some of you may have seen it, "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" by Robert A. Rinker.

I originally posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be useful to everyone as a main topic.

Page generated in 0.03088 seconds with 8 queries