Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
La Pierre caught on tape at BOD meeting in January, 2020 :

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/21/83999...ation-100-mill
From the article:

Quote:
Subsequently, the New York and D.C. attorneys general launched investigations into the NRA's finances. Eight board members have resigned over the last year. And the NRA has been locked into protracted and costly legal battles with its longtime public relations firm.
Most of the board members who resigned were big names in the firearms industry, such as Pete Brownell. None of them, to my recollection, ever attributed their resignations to LaPierre's shenanigans, but my supposition was that they felt they had to resign to protect themselves from potential liability.

I can't speak for all states, I only know this to be true for my state. (But I expect that many states have similar provisions.) In my home state, when an organization does something illegal, members of the governing board who didn't vote against the illegal action or activity are liable for it. When I chaired my home town's Planning and Zoning Commission, some of the members had a long-standing habit of abstaining on issues they thought were dodgy but which they didn't want to go on record as opposing (for political reasons). There was considerable shock among them when I came in one evening and circulated a copy of the state law that explicitly said abstentions don't count as opposition.

In the absence of anything to suggest otherwise, I continue to believe that Pete Brownell and the other board members resigned because they felt they couldn't afford the potential liability of being directors in the face of LaPierre's self-serving, self-dealing activities and proclivities.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.03321 seconds with 8 queries