View Single Post
Old December 17, 2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

I have a couple of small presses I haul out to the country on occaision to do some load work ups. Once in a while I get sidetracked while putting everything into my box and forget something. Usually I can work around it, but one trip in particular I managed to leave my case lube.

I knew of a site that had posted up some home made lubes and after a quick intenet search, (well as quick as dial up in the country is) I managed to find it and off to town I went. There were two in particular that I had picked out that I figured I might find. One was straight lanolin, which was said to possibly be found at, or in the pharmacy dept, and the other was mink oil. Of the two all that was to be had was the mink oil, which was in the shoe store under the Kiwi brand polishes. It worked fantastic.

For getting it, or the lanolin, (which I have also tried since,) off I found that using denatured alcohol worked great, and similar to the above post using gas, could be reused several times. A side benifit to it was that after several rinses of 20 cases, there was enough of the mink oil in solution, that I also used some of it as a trial spray on lube for sizing up some cast bullets. It worked just as good as the case lube. In fact if one played with the mix a bit you could probably get it down to use as a spray on case lube.

Oh and here is the link to the page I referred to as well,
Homemade Cleaners and Lubricants

Page generated in 0.03639 seconds with 8 queries