View Single Post
Old March 16, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
bignz

Handgun Training Exercise "The 550"

I've been shooting handguns seriously (300 or so rounds a week I consider serious - some of you won't) for about 2 yrs. For most of this time I would go to the range without anything planned and just shoot. Some time ago I developed a training exercise that I follow and I've noticed my accuracy skills increasing at a much greater rate. I call this drill the "550."

I'm interested in 1) sharing this with others in case you might be interested and 2) hearing from others about any modifications you would recommend. What I like about this drill is that it pushes me out to the edge of where I am accurate and forces me to focus on that distance before I go out further. The downside of this drill is that with enough practice it might become easy. Well, here it is. It could also be a fun contest between friends...

Shooting the 550

Fire 10 strings of 10 shots each (100 rounds total) at 6” round target. Tape any misses between strings and score.

1) First string is shot at 10’ and each hit is worth 1 point per hit (pph)(max of 10 points).
2) If all shots are hits, move target to 15’ for string two. Each hit at this distance is worth 2 pph (max 20 points). If first string had a miss you must remain at 10’ for string two and each hit remains 1 pph.
3) As you continue to get all hits move out 5’ for each successive string and increase points for each extended length (10’=1pph; 15’=2pph; 20’=3pph; 25’=4pph; 30’=5pph; 35’=6pph; 40’=7pph; 45’=8pph; 50’=9pph; 55’=10pph)
4) If at any point you fail to get all hits, you must bring the target back 5’ for each miss. If for instance you are at a distance of 35’ for string 6 and you get two misses, you must bring the target back to 25’ for string 7 and will be scored at that distance (4 pph). Assuming you get all hits at 25’ the target moves to 30’ and is scored at that distance (5pph), etc.

A perfect score is 550.

Page generated in 0.02164 seconds with 8 queries