View Single Post
Old September 5, 2011, 11:23 AM   #488
1911Tuner

Three-Two-Seven

After reading (most of) this thread and watching the .327 Magnum closely since its introduction...I think it's a decent cartridge with a niche...but the two main problems that I see are logistics and the fact that it's competing with a well-established revolver cartridge. Namely...Ammunition cost and availability...and the 3/4 century head start by the .357 Magnum.

That the small revolvers chambered for it will hold one more round is only important to those who carry small revolvers. If that were the only market, it would likely dominate it...but that's only a small part of the market. The majority of .357 shooters are just fine with 6 shots from a K or L-Frame revolver, or even an N-Frame.

The other question is:

"Does the .327 do anything any better than the .357 Magnum...or even as well?"

Again...in small belly guns...probably. In the others...not so much. The .357 holds the distinct advantage of being able to handle heavier bullets at trajectory-flattening velocities. The doesn't mean anything in a defensive revolver, but it means much to those who hunt or shoot metallic silhouette...or for those who want to carry an easily portable K-Frame revolver into the deep woods for protection against dangerous critters.
A 160-180 grain .36 caliber bullet at 1200 fps will reach the vitals of a fairly large bear. A 100-grain .32 caliber pill at 1500 may not...and possibly only serve to make the situation worse. Energy isn't the only consideration, and in truth...it's probably the least important factor, depending on just what you find yourself in a life and death struggle with.

I see the .327 hanging on. I don't see it ever achieving the widespread popularity of the .357 Magnum...which is arguably a more versatile cartridge.

Anyway...Them's my thoughts on it. YMMV, as always.

Page generated in 0.02906 seconds with 8 queries