View Single Post
Old March 13, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Duplex loads... predictable or no ???

so a bit of info 1st... I'm loading for an antique 44 Bulldog, that I own, which was purchased as unfired... ( this would have been a black powder cartridge ) I typically use a Trailboss load, as I haven't started loading black powder cartridges yet...

I bought ( actually traded for ) a "lot" of 250 rounds of hand load ammo from a forum member here, that are cut down 44 Special cases, with the rims thinned, & a soft lead heel bullet, these were loaded with black powder...

so 1st... the gun has never had black powder in it, so I think I want to keep it that way, & 2nd... they are handloads, which I'm always skeptical of ( I don't think these were loaded by said forum member )...

so... I'm pulling the bullets, dumping / scraping out the black, with the intention of putting my Trailboss load in & reseating the soft lead bullets...

... what I'm concerned with, is several of the cases, either had been fired with black powder before, or had sizing lube residue left in the cases, as I'm having trouble removing "all" of the black powder... do I scrape them out pretty good, & charge them with my Trailboss load ( in effect making a duplex load ) or do I waste the primers, & wet tumble them like I would normally & start from scratch... or reduce my Trailboss load by 1/4 or 1/2 a grain, & load them up???

just don't know what to expect, with a pinch of black in the Trailboss charge???

Thoughts ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 13, 2014 at 08:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.03412 seconds with 8 queries