View Single Post
Old July 19, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Years ago there was a smith who was converting S&W (k frame?) into a 5 shot .44 Spl. I think he is long retired now, if still living.

As for a "Coonan style 1911" in .44 Mag, there was one, but not Coonan. The LAR GRIZZLY was available in .44 Mag. Its a stretched 1911, and some of the parts even interchange. It is bigger than the Coonan.

I had one for a while, but traded it off, replacing it with a Grizzly in .45 Win Mag. In .44 Mag, the magazine only held 6, and my gun had feeding issues. My .45WM doesn't.

Your only choice for a current production .44 Mag autoloader is Desert Eagle. Not a 1911 pattern gun, and 4.25lbs empty.

The .44 Auto Mag Pistol (.44AMP) is somewhat lighter, as is the Grizzly, and I think even the Wildey (with 6" barrel) is lighter than the Desert Eagle.

There are NO options for a "compact" magnum autopistol, at this time. The closest thing I ever heard of was the Coonan "Cadet", a .41 Mag (produced as a few prototypes only) which had "shrunken" dimensions that made it about the size of a full size govt model 1911.

Rumor has it that the new Coonan production group may produce this gun, but currently are full time busy making their .357s.

Page generated in 0.02557 seconds with 8 queries