View Single Post
Old December 16, 2012, 03:02 PM   #12
wogpotter

I'm in complete agreement with WYOSMITH here. I'd probably say 3~3 1/2 MOA with factory milsurp, but mine will do 2 with handloads.

FALs can be hard on brass, but its easy to fix with a few simple changes. Mostly the complaint was severly dinged case mouths with a dent so sharp-shouldered that reloading was problematic. To clarify, compared to a bolt action every single semi-auto is hard on brass to a lesser or greater degree.

To make a FAL brass friendly:
Don't add on alloy scope mounts with a different internal profile from the military sheet metal. The internal shape & that rolled lover front/top section of the ejection port is there for a reason, its part of the ejection system, mess with it & you'll have brass kisses & dinged brass.

Do use the FAL's biggest advantage an adjustable gas system! You can actually tune the gas operation for individual loads without tools. Correctly adjusted a FAL will; drop all its brass in a neat 15" circle 12' out at 2 O'clock. If it isnt then I'll bet you have dinged brass & brass kisses.

Do check the angle of the ejector face, adjust it with a stone, if needed. Most 1911 .45 shoters know all about this just ask them.

I've reloaded fired brass 5~6 times. Less than a bolt gun, but not bad for a self-stuffer.

Quote:
Still, being as how I don't have a quartermaster branch supporting me and mine .... I'd stick with a bolt gun.
What the heck do you need with a QM branch for? What is really going to break on a FAL? a 1-piece firing pin maybe? OK, replace it with a 2-piece now & keep the 1.5 Oz 3" long 1/4" needle-sized original as a spare.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; December 16, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries