View Single Post
Old April 22, 2011, 01:33 PM   #140
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I also imagine that the 327 snubby to be MUCH louder than even a short 357 and that would put me off wanting one.
With comparable barrel lengths and load levels, the muzzle blast and noise levels are about the same. Depending on the situation, one cartridge may be more "punishing" than the other.

Quote:
There's no mystery here. The public just had a complete lack of interest in the cartridge. End of story.
Excellent argument.

The "complete lack of interest" must be why no dealers around here can keep anything but the Taurus .327s in stock.
S&W 632s sell like hot cakes.
SP101s move like wild fire.
Blackhawks almost match the volume of SP101s
GP100s are the slowest mover, but still sell at least 1 per day, when the BHs and SPs are sold out.
And the Taurus models? Well, people look at the Taurii, and buy something else.

I think one of the biggest issues with the Taurus revolvers (aside from quality) is the cartridge designation. With Taurus making both ".32 MAG" and ".327FEDMAG" stamped revolvers (usually found side by side), I think many buyers and ignorant salesmen get confused. Firearms enthusiasts know the difference, but the Average Joe doesn't know exactly what the difference is.

Quote:
Niche cartridge sold by shill Gunwriters as the next big thing and rapidly heading towards the ash heap of history.
Look through the hype, and determine what it really is - for yourself. If you don't want it, don't buy one.

I bought the .327 to have something different, provide the wife with something cheap to feed (I reload, if you didn't read the whole thread), and I liked how the cartridge looked on paper. In return, I discovered the most versatile chambering I have ever worked with. With .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal brass, I can load lead or jacketed projectiles from 45 grains to 125 grains, from 350 fps to 1,700 fps. I load .32 Auto and .32 S&W, as well; but I can do anything I want with just the first three cases.

The .327 may not appeal to everyone, but it works well for me.
A lot of people love the .40 S&W. I think it's a complete waste of time and resources.
A lot of people love the 10mm Auto. I am a fan, as well. But, what's the point for non-reloaders, with all the neutered factory ammo that's running a lower or similar velocity to .40 S&W?

The whole point of the .327 Federal was for ATK to make money. There is no denying that. But, from a shooter's perspective, it offers us another choice. Why go to .38/.357, when you don't need to?
Why deal with the .32-20; when a straight-wall cartridge is available, that will meet or surpass its performance in many loadings, and allows the smaller legacy cartridges to be shot?
Why deal with .30 Carbine's eccentricities, when the .327 is so easy to deal with?

It's all about personal preference.

And, for you Armchair Commandos:
Keyboard range time, and time spent daydreaming is no replacement for actually shooting something. ...Especially cartridges that are difficult to make direct comparisons for.
Get out of your basement bunkers, and actually shoot the thing.

Page generated in 0.02665 seconds with 8 queries