View Single Post
Old June 17, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1
LanceOregon

Help Me Understand the Legal Issues of this Shooting Case

I just don't know. This case I read about today doesn't seem to make much sense to me at all.

Am I off the mark to think that these charges were inappropriate, and that more serious charges should have been filed? It just doesn't seem right or make any real sense at all to me. Can anyone here make any sense of why only Assault Charges were filed against him?

A 34 yr old man from Louisville, KY by the name of Shawn M. Martin was arrested after shooting his live-in girlfriend's 3 yr old Toddler boy with a .45 Auto handgun. Martin was involved in heated argument with his girlfriend at the time, and the boy had got between him and his girlfriend. So instead of shooting his girlfriend, he shot the innocent little child.

Fortunately, the little fellow managed to survive the shooting. However, for two hours, the boy was allowed to bleed, and no effort was made to get him medical treatment, while Martin and his mother tried to clean up the scene and conceal evidence.

On top of that, Martin fled the scene, but was later tracked down by anonymous tips.

Martin's history includes felony drug convictions, and numerous misdemeanors. Just 5 months earlier, he plead guilty to reduced charges after attacking both the boy and his girlfriend in an earlier incident. However, he was only given 5 years probation!!! That's all.

How on earth does one get away with only probation for attacking your domestic companion these days?

Should this shooting incident not instead be attempted murder? Or am I missing something?

God help us when this idiot gets out of prison the next time.

Here is a courtroom photo taken of Martin shortly before he began his tirade of obscenities that he screamed at the judge in his case:

So he now faces contempt of court charges too.

Am I wrong to think that the legal system should not be coming down harder on this criminal? What am I missing?

Here are links to news reports about this case:

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ld+in+contempt

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetrac...-96567369.html

Page generated in 0.02540 seconds with 8 queries