View Single Post
Old October 17, 1999, 08:42 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for the offer of pictures but I don't think that will help much as one can't really see the detail needed in photographs. Somewhere on the barrel and action there should be one or two initials in capital letters with a star above it/them. This would be the inspector's mark. All Belgian weapons would have this mark before being allowed out of the factory. I would imaginge that one of the series of initials that you have provided is actually the inspector's mark. Is there the same initial(s) on both the action and the barrel? If so, see if there is any indication of the star mentioned earlier. That would be definitive proof of the inspector's mark. I imagine that some of the other initials are the maker's marks. I don't have any information on those marks. Though with much handling some of these could have been rubbed smooth. I believe the 16.5 is the caliber designation as stated. With no choke information on the barrel I believe I would date the weapon in question to before 1897. The IB (J backwards B)could possibly be a foreign (not Belgian) proof mark though other countries accepted Belgian proof marks. Even today all Euporean weapons are proofed, by law.
Another way to narrow the date would be to measure the bore. Measure at the muzzle and 8.6 inches in from the muzzle. If the measurement equals the caliber designation 8.6 inches in, then the weapon was made after 1893. If the muzzle dimension equals the caliber designation then it was made before 1893.
Starting in 1891, there was a voluntary proof with semi-smokeless powder for smoothbarrlled weapons with loads of shot. This had a special designation also. It consisted of a Belgian lion (facing right) over the set of initials EC and the lion and initials were separated by a horizontal line. Later other special marks were introduced to indicate the specific powder used in a given proof.
Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.02840 seconds with 8 queries