View Single Post
Old May 13, 2009, 03:56 AM   #60
Blue Steel

Man, it sounds like some of your people are Phil Spector trying to figure out how to get away with shooting your girlfriend. If you are legally armed and have a legitimate reason to defend yourself with deadly force then you should not be so paranoid. That does not mean you should not prepare for the aftermath and protect yourself.

Here are my ideas on this subject:

Avoid bravado. Taking a human life is a sobering event, and you most likely won't feel like backslapping, but if you do suppress the urge. Bragging about how you "smoked" someone isn't endearing, and doesn't make you look like the victim.

Tell the truth. If everything is kosher there shouldn't be an issue, and if you made an honest mistake covering it up will only increase your problems.

If you are in your home and you think you hear an intruder, make every effort to call 9-1-1. Listen to the questions and answer them as best you can. Contrary to another post here, often times the 9-1-1 operator does not have your address (and even if they do they have to verify it). If you are forced to engage an intruder you will have the event on tape, including your commands for the person to "Get out of my house" or "Drop the knife" or whatever the situation may be.

Don't hang up on the 9-1-1 operator. They are only going to start trying to call you back. Hanging up stops the flow of information to the police, and keeps them from being able to give you instructions. Hanging up only increases the potential for you to accidentally be treated as a hostile by the police.

I don't understand the concern over semantics of "I shot" or "shots were fired" or "there has been a shooting". It's your house, it's your gun, you're the victim, you shot the assailant. The more vague you are, the more likely you are to accidentally be treated as a hostile by the police. From the time you call 9-1-1 your goal is to place yourself squarely in the VICTIM column. "There has been a shooting." doesn't really tell the police much other than they are going into an armed encounter.

Don't worry about taking photos, that is what the crime scene photographers are for. They are trained, have better equipment, and will do a better job. Your goal is simply to help preserve evidence and witnesses.

Don't call your lawyer first, unless by first you mean talking to one before you have an armed encounter. You don't want to be trying to call your lawyer while the neighbors are calling in the shots fired call. You want to be notifying the police and getting an ambulance started. Remember, its your house, its your gun, you're the victim.

You will need to give the police the basics. "That man tried to harm me, I want to press charges." is a good way to start. Make sure you are placing yourself in the victim column, and let them know you want to cooperate fully as soon as you speak with your attorney.

Expect to be detained and to be transported to a detective squadroom. This process will take hours as they investigate what occurred, but when its done they will have a good idea of what happened and you may not be arrested. In 15 years of public safety I can't think of an armed citizen that defended himself in his home or from a violent attack that was put in jail. If you're prosecuting attorneys aren't friendly to armed citizens maybe you ought to think about moving.

Page generated in 0.03542 seconds with 8 queries