View Single Post
Old July 14, 2010, 06:19 PM   #28
Crosshair

Quote:
I've always wondered whether a powerful laser pointer can be used to disable a survaliance camera?
Temporarily disable, yes. The laser will overload the sensor and cause a whiteout as the camera tries to compensate.

Permanently disable, not really. not with today's cameras. If you had enough wattage you probably could, but most everything nowadays has a fast acting auto-iris lens and the sensors themselves are quite durable. I've had cameras, without the lens assembly, powered up in direct sunlight and the sensor was undamaged.

If you know the camera is monitored in some way it's a REALLY bad idea. When you have 32 cameras at your desk it's really easy to miss something. Having a camera suddenly whiteout like a nuke has gone off is going to attract attention.

Even hitting the camera with a laser is problematic because you have to hit the lens itself and then keep it there. (Can you hold a laser beam on a 1/2" target at 50 yards?) Just shooting the camera with a 22 would be more stealthy and reliable. You can obscure your face at night by making an "IR LED Hat". That works good too.

Page generated in 0.02358 seconds with 8 queries