View Single Post
Old April 23, 2009, 08:01 PM   #55
David Wile

Hey Dan,

I presume your post (#49) was in response to my post (#29). I am sorry to offend you, but I did not intend to be talking trash about you or anyone else. I know my #29 post was addressed to "Dan", but for the life of me I can not tell you why I addressed it that way. My intent on post #29 was to address it to BRO2's post #19 where he said, "Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am considering going with a Lee classic turrent kit from Cabela's. $189. What about the T-Mag by lyman? "

He said he was considering paying $189 for a Lee press at Cabelas. My response on post #29 simply said that I would rather buy a used RCBS RockChucker or RCBS Junior for about half the price he was talking about for a new Lee press.

I then went on to explain why I thought a single stage press was a better first buy press than a progressive. If you recall, he started this thread with the question: "Hello, I want to start reloading 45acp. Looking for a good single stage kit. Maybe later get a progressive press. Help!"

Later in his post #30, he asked if he should get a progressive: "Hey, My wife just gave me the go on $600! Should I get a progressive?"

I don't think my explanation to him about why a single stage press is a good choice was talking trash to him in any way. He asked for help. I offered it.

You suggested in your post #49 that I made myself look like a fool. I'm not sure how you came to that opinion; maybe it was because I mistakenly addressed my response to you instead of BRO2, but that error hardly seems foolish. It was just a mistaken addressee. The content of the post still speaks for itself concerning the whole experience of learning the craft of reloading.

If you want to argue that reloaders have no need for a single stage press when they own a progressive press, you certainly may do so. But your argument would simply be defending an indefensible position. I know there are many folks who started with a progressive press and never bought a single stage press. I know those folks can get by that way, but that does not mean it is a good way to go. I also know folks who started with a progressive press and later found they also wanted a single stage press to do special work that is not so easy to do on a progressive. I also know some folks who started with a progressive press and found their learning curve to be far more difficult than they ever expected. Some of those folks even quit in frustration.

You are correct that your money is yours and you have every right to spend it as you wish. I see from your more recent post that you got your Lee press, and I am glad for you. You, like many other folks who bought Lee presses are very happy with their purchases. Some folks like Lee, some Redding or RCBS, maybe Lyman or Hornady, and others may choose something else entirely.

It would now appear that BRO2 has decided to order a Hornady L&L AP. It is a very good press; I have one myself. However, I did not tell BRO2 that I chose a Hornady L&L AP. There are lots of folks who will tell others to buy whatever brand press they happen to own. They will say things like, "Buy a XXXXXX and never look back.", or "Buy a XXXXX, it is the best press hands down." and other statements that have no basis in objective analysis. I generally try not to tell people what brand to buy. I generally tell people to search out other folks who own different brands and get first hand knowledge of how they work so they can make their own decision based on informed knowledge. If that makes me foolish in your eyes, I am sorry.

You now have your press and BRO2 will soon have his press, and I wish you both well in your path down the reloading way. I suggested a single stage press to BRO2 and would have done the same for you, but that is OK. We all make our choices and most of us make our choices work. Both of you, like everyone else, will have problems to iron out along the way, and this forum is a good place to get help. You may get different ideas along the way sometimes, but you need to look at the whole of the content and figure out what may work for you.

Again, I did not mean to insult you in any way. I don't like to rag on others just as I don't like to be ragged on. I hope you enjoy the reloading path and do not give up on the knowledge of the forum because I or someone else may say something that seems wrong to you.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Page generated in 0.03637 seconds with 8 queries