View Single Post
Old April 24, 2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
I just can't believe that sound suppression technology is sort of stuck where it is; or am I missing something?
Suppressor technology definitely isn't stuck; in fact, it's just the opposite: They've gotten a lot better just in the last several years. Over the last decade or so, silencers have greatly improved in quality and effectiveness. And thanks to new manufacturing technology and the boom in silencer popularity, there's currently an arms race going on in the suppressor world. Every few years a new batch of silencers comes out that effectively renders the current crop obsolete.

They're still not as quiet as Hollywood would have you believe, but current-generation 9mm suppressors are pretty darn quiet, and noticeably quieter than the ones from just a few years ago.

So if you want a 9mm silencer that's as quiet as a subsonic suppressed .22, you're not going to get that (at least not with a design that's even remotely convenient). But if you want a 9mm silencer that's pleasant to shoot without hearing protection and is noticeably quieter than the 9mm silencers from just a few years ago, you can get that. My Octane 9 is one of the quietest 9mm silencers ever made. Outside with subsonic ammo it's really quiet. No, it's not suppressed .22 quiet, and it doesn't sound anything like in the movies. But for people who have shot older 9mm suppressors, you can really tell the difference in the newer designs.

Page generated in 0.03686 seconds with 8 queries