Thread: Lubing Lee Mold
View Single Post
Old January 16, 2013, 09:37 AM   #14
snuffy

Quote:
Synthetic 2 stroke oil. Apply sparingly with a cotton swab to hinges, pivot points and alignment pins. Also doesn't hurt to wipe down the bottom side of the sprue plate with it VERY sparingly, it will prevent lead smears, but...you don't want any in the mold cavities.
Finally some good advice!

Oil, paraffin, other waxes, all burn and leave a nasty/sticky residue on mold surfaces. Anti seize usually has granulated copper in it, that will result in holding the mold halves apart.

The bullplate lube sold by bullshop, is simply synthetic 2 cycle oil. It's made to keep lubricating even at the very high temps inside a 2 cycle engine. SOOOooo it stays on the mold surfaces and does not oxidize or turn into gunk. It also does not migrate/spread like oil or wax does. That keeps it out of the cavities. A little goes a L-0-N-G way.

Alox 50/50 boolit lube is half bees wax, half alox rust preventative. It used to be IIRC #6138, but that is no longer made.

Another thing to ignore in the Lee instructions, is the smoke the mold cavities part. Smoke is for signalling other Indians. Keep it out of mold cavities.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02168 seconds with 8 queries