View Single Post
Old July 8, 2008, 02:50 AM   #12
FerFAL

Quote:
John_Z wrote:
What about those not able to learn martial arts etc. to defend themselves? Should they just hope they don't get robbed or assaulted?
Is that inability real, something that has no solution? You can’t work out, practice a few times a week as part of your physical training?

If you really have a limitation due to age ( I’ve known people in their late 50’s that still boxed well) or because of some physical problem that really can’t be solved, then at least understand the disadvantage this implies.

I’d try to learn at lest some basic self defense moves, and practice them a lot until they become second nature.
Of course carrying your firearm, pepper spray and an edged weapon, as many tricks as you can to compensate for the lack of hand to hand fighting ability.

I mentioned the need for unarmed combat because in a recent shooting class I took it was painfully sad to see how many good action shooters would get “killed” every time by unarmed attackers, simply because they grabbed the gun and got it away from them and used it against them. Excellent marksmen but poor fighters, and one particular guy lost every single time against the unarmed attacker.

You need to be able to fight when you don’t have the range or space to use your firearm, and since most attacks occur at very close range, this is a very real possibility.

chris in va, I teach people how to shoot every time I see a small glimpse of interest or potential of it, but this woman is 100% sheep, if you know what I mean.

FerFAL

Page generated in 0.03673 seconds with 8 queries