View Single Post
Old October 16, 2008, 12:20 PM   #39
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by ice_9us: I spoke with a Dekalb officer who said he didn't think the new law was fair..If i shoot someone, it is ok.
I suggest that you follow Keltyke's advice and learn something about the law from a qualified source.

According to my lay understanding, the substance of the amendment was to specify that you have no duty to retreat under certain circumstances involving defense of person, habitat, or other property. It also provides you with a strong measure of protection against civil suits.

You still have to have a "reasonable belief" that use of force is justified under the circumstances. You will undoubtedly not be the final arbiter of whether your belief met the "reasonable person' standard under the law.

And also according to my lay reading of the statutes, the responsibility still falls to you to mount an affirmative defense to substantiate that any homicide committed by you is legally justified. What that will involve will no doubt depend upon the circumstances.

Do not take any of the above as qualified legal advice--seek expert advice, and do not listen to anyone who tells you that "if you shoot someone it's ok."

Page generated in 0.03530 seconds with 8 queries