View Single Post
Old December 15, 2005, 08:13 PM   #23
Double Naught Spy

Guys, some of you are right. I could lighten up. Then again, maybe some take the posted life or death advice a little more seriously. Some of you have and took a more critical look as the bizarre claims made.

I would not expect a new poster to immediately start posting on such matters with such definitive authority and experience, criticising those instructors without such critical experience, and then simply getting so much of the information wrong. Key terminology was in error, knowledge of physics was in error, claimed to have knowledge of a topic that simply didn't fit with being in the Army for 20+ years and that information on hollowpoint performance was not accurate, his biology was wrong, wrong military history, wrong 1911 history, and his ability to prognosticate what will happen to you if you shoot an attacker in the head was amazing. I am still working out how it is that I will be killed by an attacker that I have just shot in the head, but the guy said it would get me killed.

So the guy is giving suggestions on how one should handle themself in life or death shooting situations, establishing his credibility based on being in the military for 20+ years and being a firearms instructor with the needed experience to teach firearms. I have had some instructors that have twisted a fact, reversed numbers, etc. when speaking to a class, but not in their written material. I have done the same thing. However, this guy condensed a whole bunch of errors into a very short bit of text while telling all of us how it is in combat shooting as he obviously has a long career in that world.

If that many errors are going to be made, something is obviously wrong. I don't know what it is, but the guy is giving advice on life and death shooting tactics and that scares me. It scares me because somebody will read the post, take it to heart, and be misinformed.

U.S.SFC_RET, am I going to contest the military built a gun to shoot around corners? No, but you were so vague that there is nothing to contest. When you say "the" military designed a gun to shoot around corners, which military do you mean, how is the shot cornering, and when are you talking about it happening? What is interesting is that you mention it and as a military man firearms instructor, you seem to have conveniently left off any critical information such as a model number, caliber, rate of fire, or how it fires around corners. So of course I cannot contest your claim and I can't for the primary reason is that such devices have been around for at least 60 years.

The first one I know about was created by the Germans in WWII. I don't know that it was the first one developed, just the first I know about. Basically, it was the bent barrel Krummerlauf attachment on the MP44 assault rifle and a mirror system for sighting. It had limited field application because of the permanent bend to one direction or the other, but tankers liked it for providing cover fire when needing to exit a disabled tank. By pivoting the gun, they could sweep the outside of the tank before exiting the hatch. The mirror sighting was not typical of models provided to tanks.

A couple of years ago, the Israelis started trying to market their around corner shooting attachment system that included a curved barrel and camera with the barrel being able to be rotated around to use in different directions. The gun was marketed to the US Military and to a number of US police departments through Corner Shot out of Florida. I don't know that any adopted it or not.

By the way, here is a link to the Corner Shot system put together by our Jewish friends...
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/corner.asp

I know the US military has been toying with a variety of video system sighting designs which had applications to hit targets around the corner from the shooter, but the gun remained and straight line shooting gun such as a video adapted M16. Basically, the soldier panned the gun around a corner, using the camera on the gun to spot targets, depressing the trigger as necessary when a target was in the sights. The problem was that the hands were still very much exposed. It is better than popping your head out, but isn't true corner shooting.

There are also tests with range determined grenades that can be programmed to shoot beyond a particular point before exploding, such as X feet beyond a berm or X feet beyond the exterior wall of a structure when shooting through a window, thereby allowing the explosion to hit targets that otherwise would be protected.

Have you looked up the 1911 information yet? Please let me help you. You can find a lot of nifty information here... http://www.m1911.org/

How did you want your crow? Actually, crow isn't too bad so long as it is cleaned properly and cooked properly.

Page generated in 0.03148 seconds with 8 queries