Thread: bullet lube
View Single Post
Old September 29, 2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

bullet lube

I am venturing into lubing my cast bullet and am doing some reading and learning. Figured I would share what I have learned and what I am trying so far. loading for 38spl and 357mag smokeless powder.

From what I read during the American civil war a 50/50 mix of bees wax and tallow was used.

I found a LOT of mixtures and concoctions using everything including, bees wax, motor oil, petroleum jelly, paraffin, olive oil, crisco, and ATF.

I'm trying to keep it simple. I am using bees wax and TC bore butter.

So far I have mixed up 2 small test batches using bees wax ratios of 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1 mixed by weight.

So far I have gotten some rough data on the wax using my infared thermometer. the mixes seem to fully melt around 165F in the microwave. They seem to solidify around 135F. they tear rather than snap, so they are not brittle. under 115F tap water they do not melt.

I am also looking to try this experiment with frog lube paste in the near future. but that is for another day.

so far the 1:1 feels pretty slick and soft. the 2:1 is a bit stiffer and less slippery, very mildly tacky. the 4:1 is much stiffer but still soft not brittle and is mostly tacky feeling.

Page generated in 0.02367 seconds with 8 queries