View Single Post
Old February 22, 2021, 02:44 PM   #41
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Question to the OP.....what is the manufacture of your .44 lever rifle?

The 1-20" twist rate description of the OP's .44 has caught my eye. Most all the traditional .44 mag lever carbines (and the original Ruger semi .44) were twisted 1-38" and gave so-so accuracy in many examples. The faster twist rate of 1-20" is more in line with revolver twist rates and was used by Ruger in their model 96 and 99 carbines before they went defunct. I don't know what twist rate was used in the last of the Marlin levers.

The .44/265gr brought the .444 Marlin up to its true potential. The lighter slugs were far better suited to .44 mag velocities. If I had a .44 mag carbine with a 1-20" twist, I'd shoot 240 gr JHP for deer. The 240 gr slug is a chunk of lead, and I cannot imagine it not passing thru a whitetail on a broadside shot. If I felt I needed more penetration, I'd opt for a JSP. Big (200 lb plus) hogs are tough, but they are not bullet proof.
Hi bamaranger,

It's a 20" barrel, 1:20" twist Chiappa Alaskan.

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

Skinner carry case:

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

And when you unpack it:

And out on the range:

Hoping to develop a plinking load (240gr cast lead RNFP and Unique is current favourite but not so keen on how unique measures) and a hunting load. For the hunting load, Thinking 240 gr Nosler JSP or maybe Swift A-Frame / 265gr Hornady over H110 which I have some of or N110 which is still relatively obtainable and cheaper here.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Page generated in 0.03053 seconds with 8 queries