View Single Post
Old June 11, 2018, 10:34 PM   #45
briandg

I'm having a hard time considering anything that puts a measured distance on when to act. Just for example, if a lion is one block away, sitting on the ground and yawning, there really isn't any strong justification for kneeling, sighting in and shooting him, and saying that you were afraid because there was a lion down the block. If that lion down the block is already running hell bent for you, you waited too long.

Distance isn't important and shouldn't be a pre deciding factor, the thing that you consider should be the length of time that you have to respond.

We can consider the standard for most stand your ground laws, you can respond with lethal force when genuine fear of imminent danger exists. When dealing with wild critters, that is going to involve their behavior and proximity, right? Does it threaten? is it close? is there room to evade and escape?

An aggressive dog that I expect to attack will be within my drawing and trigger pulling range at fifty feet. a dog could cover the ground between me and fifty feet before I pull the trigger.

A moose? I don't even know where I would begin to start a decision making process. an urban moose is something that was just custom built for creation of wild scenarios.

How close should you let an angry moose get if you are in a parking lot full of trucks? a diner full of tables? an ice hockey rink? Should I use pepper spray instead of my .380, or maybe my stun gun?

Myself, just spitballing here, I believe that a moose can cover 50 to 100 feet in about as much time as it would take for me to draw or unshoulder a rifle, and if the thing is looking a weird, I will have a weapon ready in case he does go nuts.

My grandfather would never speak my name again if he found out that I was killed by an angry moose. I would be denied entrance to heaven.

Page generated in 0.02494 seconds with 8 queries