View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017, 07:43 PM   #7
gwpercle

I inherited my Grandfathers S&W top break 38S&W Double action 4th model, 5 inch barrel. Usually they have shorter or cut down barrels. My mom said during the 1930's depression in East Texas her Daddy killed a lot of small game with it to keep the family fed (rabbits, squirrels and armadillo) Mom's words "We would have starved slap to death if not for Daddy's hunting with that pistol . "
It came with two boxes of ammo and I couldnent wait to shoot it !
At the range I discovered, the latch was hard to operate, the front sight was a thin silver blade...too thin, the rear sight was a tiny notch...not adjustable, I couldn't shoot it worth beans (I'm a pretty good shot) the grips were too small to get a decent grip, my daughter said it was like gripping a tooth pick...I agree. Ejecting empties and getting them to clear the chambers was iffy. Empty cases would fall back into the cylinders and the extractor would snap down on top of them tying up the gun.
I shot 25, my daughter shot 3 , I have never wanted to shoot it again.
The whole experience pretty much sucked rocks....now I can REALY appreciate the S&W K frame in 38 special, it is light years ahead of the top breaks.

Go ahead and shoot it , if you have young eyes maybe you can see the sights better, I couldn't), go slow loading and reloading...it's not a fast, easy to operate gun, the latch on mine was stiff. But for the shooting experience it is worth doing, if you have one or know someone who does.
Honestly , I have much more fun with a modern K frame , model 64 in 38 special or a S&W 22 LR revolver. If you already have modern guns, then be sure get a top break in excellent condition for shooting. When they have been shot a lot and parts start wearing and breaking ...that's just a money pit and no fun. Mine is well worn , rode hard and put away wet. no finish, pitting and old rust spots, I'm going to retire the old girl .
Get one that looks like it's almost brand new with lots of finish , it will be best for shooting.
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; October 5, 2017 at 07:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries