View Single Post
Old July 18, 2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
I hate to tell you this but .. that's called aiming. If you are using the front sight post or any other reference point on the gun which is reasonably in your field of vision, you are aiming. If you want to shoot at half hip while focused on the target, I will accept that you are not aiming but rather intuitively pointing.

The whole premise of "aiming is useless" is silly. Can you shoot without aiming?..sure. Is point shooting more prudent than traditionally aiming in some circumstances?.. sure. Saying that aiming is useless sounds like a marketing phrase designed to get your attention.

I will aim my gun as best I can in every circumstance that allows it. When I cant aim traditionally, I will do my best point shooting and transition back to aimed fire at the earliest opportunity.

If a person intentionally foregoes using the sights in circumstance which would obviously allow the use of them, ... I am not impressed.

variants of a flash sight picture is nothing new

-good luck

ps.. as a person who is also a member of the public at large, please aim your gun if you are going to use it in public. thank you
Okay, and that's where I would completely agree with you, which is why I felt the misgivings I did when I saw the title of that video. It wasn't until I watched the thing that I realized the title was a little misleading. But it does catch your attention, which may have been the idea.

See, Mr. Leatham doesn't say that aiming is useless, period. What he in fact says is that aiming is useless until one has mastered the skill of not moving the gun while pressing the trigger. He actually has a few things to say about the subject, which I'm not inclined to go into here, but trust me, watch that video, and see if I'm right. or he's right, or whatever. The point being, that in spite of the misleading title of the video, Mr. Leatham makes some very intelligent observations about how to learn the fundamentals of shooting a handgun. You just have to ignore the title of the video.

But to your response, Leatham doesn't say, "aiming is ALWAYS useless." Or anything remotely like that. If I had to paraphrase him, I'd say that he's saying that learning how to aim is useless at first, until you learn not to move the gun while pressing the trigger. Or something to that effect.

Page generated in 0.02634 seconds with 8 queries