View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 11:05 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
putting purchase restrictions on alcohol would do far more to save lives then this so called gun control crap
It's funny you should bring that up, because I was discussing that with someone the other day.

We still have booze. Responsible adults should be allowed to consume it at their leisure. We tried restricting it once, and the results spoke for themselves.

Folks who shouldn't have it can get it. Sometimes, they cause mayhem. But does that justify disallowing the responsible folks from having it? I'd say not.

Now, one of the particular dangers of alcohol consumption is drunk driving. In the early 1980's, Mothers Against Drunk Driving attacked the problem. They went after a specific behavior: the act of driving under the influence. They did not push for lowering speed limits, taxing booze, or restricting its sale. They simply lobbied for stricter punishments (and the enforcement) for a specific, destructive act.

The result was a dramatic decline in drunk-driving fatalities. I'd suggest we apply the same approach to crime involving firearms, but the government refuses to do so. Instead, we're asked to accept all sorts of peripheral restrictions on the law-abiding, many of which have been tried and which have failed to address the problem.

Quote:
How did I ever miss that "assault clip" video?

Page generated in 0.01941 seconds with 8 queries