View Single Post
Old March 11, 2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Those are interesting videos, to be sure, but not real telling.

It's kind of like asking Ford to do a quality review of a Chevy.

What kind of yahoo doesn't have the safe bolted down? That seems pretty basic.

"These two men used only the basic tools, a pry bar and a crow bar."

Umm, what else are they going to bring into your house? There aren't a lot of crooks with backpack style acetylene torches.

I should think that anyone wanting to drop a safe from 20 feet using a forklift would elicit at least A LITTLE suspicion. Once again, why isn't it bolted down? I worked in a store when I was younger that had a safe that would just fall open if it was tipped over. It was supposed to be bolted down.... like most anyone with a brain would do anyway.

The vast majority of burglars are there for the easy mark. They see a safe, they give a whack or two, they see that it's bolted down, they go on for easier loot.

It's usually not like in the movies where they cut the glass on your skylight and rappel down through your lasers, hovering over the display case with your bowling ball sized diamond, being careful not to make to much noise and set off the acoustic sensors, while they cut through the display glass with the ultra-silent laser glass-cutter.

Bottom Line? Yep, don't cheap out on your security. However, the safe you DID buy is better than the one you DIDN'T buy because you couldn't afford a "good one" and, for crying out loud, bolt the dang thing to the floor. mm, k?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 11, 2009 at 09:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.03085 seconds with 8 queries