View Single Post
Old February 8, 2014, 02:06 AM   #54
Deja vu

Calling the police is all fine and dandy but where I live if the cops are in a hurry its a good 20-25 min before they can get to my spot. I do occasionally get knocks late at night. Only house for miles and live near a very scenic overlook with a steep drive up to the overlook. Because its so far out cell coverage is very spotty but from our bedroom (or any other room on the second floor) we usually get 2 bars. Usually its just someone asking to use the LAN line or where they can find cell service.

What we do is I grab a pistol and my wife grabs the marlin (357 magnum carbine) and the cell phone and then I talk over the intercom (it was popular in the 1980s when the house was built to have an intercom). If they need to use the LAN line I have a wireless phone I can hand though the mail slot. But usually I just tell them there is cell service about 200 yards down the road and they leave. Pretty much everyone these days has a cell phone. If I called the cops every time someone came knocking at night the cops may not be in such a hurry to get out here next time.

I also have 2 dogs. One is a rottweiler and the other is a minpin. The rottweiler is protective but sleeps heavy the minpin cant help but bark and that wakes up the rottweiler any time someone is around the house. I think its a good combination. They sleep on the main floor. I have also added one of those steel mesh doors to both the front and back door. They are pretty strong and its one more door to go through. But in all honesty the windows would be the weak spot but our bedroom and all our guns are on the second floor.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Page generated in 0.03621 seconds with 8 queries