View Single Post
Old January 13, 2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

problems with the foam ??? maybe I've been lucky so far ???

I've never had any issues so far... prior to this, I've stored a couple of small groups of my collection in plastic, hinged, rifle & pistol cases that are lined with egg crate foam... ( my Automags are currently in a rifle case of this type, as are my longer barreled hunting revolvers )... I usually spray a light coat of penitrating oil over short term storage guns, or wipe down with a heavy weight oil for longer term storage, & so far, haven't had any reaction issues with the foam that comes standard in hard side gun cases... I also have a case my father in law put together out of a large ( cassette case ??? ) that has 2-3 assorted strips / colors of egg crate foam, used for storing Contender barrels, & of those 2-3 types of foam so far no reactions with either of my prefered storage lubes...

the foam is open cell, so it could "hold water", but I make sure the guns are water / moisture free before they contact the foam, & ( I've done this several times with no problems ), I lightly spray the surface of the foam with my arrosol penitrating oil, so the foam has an oily surface... I have / had been storing handguns like this for over 10 years now with no problems yet... I'm sure there are foams that will react or break down, & perhaps over a longer period of time the grey type of foam that comes standard in hard side rifle cases may break down, but so far, I have not witnessed it...

Page generated in 0.03171 seconds with 8 queries