Thread: S&W lock
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 03:04 PM   #39
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AID_Admin
All esthetics and biasing aside. Given a choice of buying a new one with the lock or a LNIB older version without the lock for the similar price, wouldn't I be better off with an older no-lock one?
Not necessarily, if aesthetics and resale aren't an issue.

I've generally found no functional difference. What matters more to me are the features available only on the newer ones: pinned front sight, new style cylinder release, frame-mounted firing pin. Right now, the -5 and -6s have these features I prefer, and between them, only the -5 was pre-lock. Still, my main match gun is a -6 (and I'm a master-level shooter, knocking on the door of a national title), while my -5 is my backup until my -6 is shot out. Again, my -6 has over 70+ hard rounds through it, with nary a hiccup, so while I do own some older ones, I'd be hard-pressed to find anything categorically wrong with my newer guns.

BTW, I did an action job on a friend's early 686 no-dash, and it looked like hung-over monkeys with rasps put it together, so IMO, it's an over-simplified cliché that older guns are "better". Webleymkv expressed my thoughts on the matter pretty well.

Page generated in 0.02235 seconds with 8 queries