View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
NWPilgrim

One bad cylinder?

I just shot a bunch of test loads in my new M29-8 mountain gun. I tested several handloads and some factory ammo. I got a few good 4-shot groups around 1.5" at 25 yds from a rest. But many seemed to have 3 holes tightly grouped and one flyer. I was shooting them all single action.

After a while it just seemed odd to keep getting one outlier in most groups. But not all groups, maybe 2/3 of them had this problem. Later I began to wonder if there could be one cylinder out of spec that would do this. Is that sort of problem unusual or not so unusual? What can be done if it is one bad cylinder?

I plan to run some more tests to compare groups of the same ammo but keeping track of the cylinders for each shot. I can't do that for another 2-3 weeks and thought I would ask for a sanity check from you guys before I devote a range session to this.

I love the gun but expected better results as the 4" Redhawk I had years ago shot my best handloads tighter than this. If I throw out the too-frequent flyer then the groups would be great over all.

Page generated in 0.03476 seconds with 8 queries