View Single Post
Old September 16, 2000, 08:14 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

When they are the size of crow - they sure are! You should have seen these suckers in the air - just one or two making a racket like a small WWII bomber... One desert fly tried to make off with one of the targets. Coulda made it too - if we hadn't called the range Hot again... and well... the fly didnt make it.

Special Thanks to those that brought stuff -
skyder, for the Grill, the Sun Shade, the extra table, and the good company.
Meiji_man, for being the Offical TFL Utah Chapter Combat Photographer.
Caeca Invidia Es & Tank Girl for the desert... Mrs Kodiac enjoyed them profusly.
Correia, for helping put this together and bringing some fun guns... Oh - and for the first time making the Mighty FAL JAM! I'll let you explain that one!
And thank you to the rest of the Utah TFL Members who showed up...
For those that didn't make it: You have to come next time!

Here is the Narative:
At Nine AM we gathered at the Wendys/Gas Station just off I15 in Lehi. When everyone was gathered and last provisions obtained (Namely Aleve for my busted up knee and some more bottled water); we headed west into the deep desert. Along the way we saw guys riding camels, some piramids, some Fremen calling a worm with a "thumper" - like I said Deep Desert.
Once we found the site and set up, we immediatly made the obligatory refrence to "Tremors" when a couple went wandering off... Setting up the canopy was fun - something just shy of a Monty Python skit - but we got it up. Once Mrs Kodiac was comfortable on a camp chair in the shade we went about setting up some targets. Among them water filled bottles... one of the best kinda targets to shoot at.
After a session of shooting Correia and I just had to do the John Woo trick so we each loaded up dual .45s and went at it. As Shakespear put it - we were "full of sound and fury" and that was about it. So then we set about the food.
Bratwurst and Kraut... because like an idiot I forgot all the chicken we bought last night just for this occasion! We had two packs and thankfully Correia had a 3rd so everyone had plenty of meat...
Side Note - He showed us Gunslinger's Super Duper Belly Band. After seeing it in person - I would recomend it highly. Larry was carrying his 1911A1 and you just plain could not tell. I will be ordering one shortly.
During the second round of firing Mrs Kodiac got more involved in the shooting and made some very nice hits.
Everyone shared weapons and got to try pretty much whatever they wanted to try... Including some of skyder's SPECWAR ISSUE .22 ammo... Okay - it is actually some imported ammo powered only by Primer Charge... Out of the two Remington 514's there - The gunshot is about as loud as a mouse flatulant. You could hear the hammer click, and the bullet hitting down range - THAT WAS IT. I will be buying a couple boxes of that stuff shortly as well... It has some special utilities that make this ammo ideal.
Oh - I almost forgot... just as we were about to finish up the eats... I noticed a big dust devil off in the distance. I looked away from it briefly and all the sudden it was on top of us! Just like one of the skits in the Python flick HOLY GRAIL. The tent was grabbed just in time... with Meiji_man almost making like one of Mary Poppins' Chimney Sweeps. It hit like a frieght train and threatened to topple everything. It blew an opened gun case off a truck... but spared the Mighty FAL. Mrs Kodiac was climbing out of the Jawa SandCrawler just as it hit - and promptly rebounded back into the van... But the little tornado passed as quickly as it came and we were back to shooting.
We set up and knocked down plenty of targets. skyder made a hike down the trail and set up a water filed 2 liter bottle with the challenge... everyone gets ONE SHOT - see who can hit it. My Bad. I shot first.

All in all - I think everyone had a great time... It was the best time I have had shooting since the last TFL Gathering.

Photos will be posted shortly.

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited September 16, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.04009 seconds with 8 queries