View Single Post
Old October 30, 2008, 09:51 AM   #13
ebutler462

Let me clarify just one little, but important matter about shotguns. Everyone needs two shotguns. One for hunting where walking is part of the sport. This needs to be a light gun that won't wear you out. The other should be a heavier gun to absorb the recoil after a day of shooting clays. It is also great for still hunting or hunting in a blind with heavy loads.

For shooters on a budget, I recommend a Franchi 48 for uplands and a gas gun similar to the Remington 1100 or 11-87 for clays and waterfowl. Both of these guns can be bought used in excellent condition for half what a Benelli costs. Benellis are good guns but grossly overpriced.

I have never given more than $500 for a gun of any description. That is my limit on any gun. Shop around a bit and haggle with the gun shop. You can buy 5 or 6 good used guns for the price of one Benellis.

There is nothing wrong with a Benelli. I'm glad that some of our members can spend that kind of money for one gun. They are a gem. I can't afford them so I shop the used racks and pick the best and haggle the price. I paid $250 for a 95%+ Franchi 48 and $325 for a 90%+ Remington 11-87. I have a SKB 900 that I paid $150 for that was in like new condition. It was during the off-season (February through May) when demand is down for guns and the shops need to move the inventory.

The only new guns that I've ever bought, if I'm remembering correctly, is a couple of Stoeger 2000s for my sons. They are a mid weight gun. The boys have shot the crap out of these guns with no problems. They costed around $400 each. The other 30 or so guns in my two safes are used guns in pristine condition except for a few bumps and scrapes from using them.

For sporting clays, a lot of members like the Walmart Beretta 390. It runs a bit over $500 so that leaves it out of my price range. I think it is $539 at my local Walmart. The gas piston holds up better than the 391 according to posts that I have read. Might be worth a look. Walmart can order you one if they don't have it in stock.

Page generated in 0.02491 seconds with 8 queries