View Single Post
Old September 2, 2008, 12:22 PM   #16
hockeysew

+1 on LongRifles Devcon products. They are by far the best. More High Power match rifles such as Garands and M1A'a are bedded with it.
With bedding compund one thing that alot of people forget to consider is toughness.
Having a hard bedding compound is good, but it also needs to be very shock resistant. The compund has to be able to stand up to the repeated pounding and shock of recoil. This is where Acra-Glas, Marine Tex and Devcon really shine. They have a certain degree of flexibility to them that makes them very tough and able to withstand the shock. This results in a long lasting bed.

The West Sytems slow cure Epoxy may work, but I will stick with the Devcon.

Bondo, Kitty Hair, standard POLYESTER resin fiberglass, JB Weld and such are very hard when set, which makes them brittle also. I have seen a rifle where Kitty Hair was used to bed the action, only to chunk out after about 50 rounds.
Not the kind of work I want my name attached to........

The slower the product cures, the stronger and tougher it will be. The cure time dictates the length of the polymer "chain". Quick setting formulae do not allow sufficient time for a long chaining to occur at a molecular level.
The longer the "chain" the tougher the end result. It also allows better "flow" time which means the compound will fill all the nooks and crannys better.

Another thing that will denote a quality bed job is the stock preperation. The stock must be properly undercut and in some instances "Anchor" holes drilled to give the bedding something to "key" into. Between the bedding and the stock you need to have a superior mechanical bond. Otherwise you will end up with a nice fitting rifle/bedding but a crappy bedding/stock relationship.

Page generated in 0.02979 seconds with 8 queries